Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Athiest Bus

I am not sure if any of you guys have heard about this or not, but there was some news about some British buses containing athiest messags on them claiming there is no God. One of them read "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy yourself". It was originally a campaign that wished to recieve $ 5,000 for donations, but they have recieved over $ 140,000 (pounds). This message has appeared on over 200 buses in the capital. Advertisements for this are also running in Spain and the U.S. Will Canada be next?

Freedom of speech is part of our rights. But is this going too far? Will the government intervene? I'm not exactly sure about the government, but I know that churches, mosques, sinnagogs and perhaps other places of worship may get worked up over this.

I do not really have an opinion on this. For one, I am not VERY religious, and it is not like anyone is trying to "convert" me to become an athiest. I beleive in God. Secondly, it is not a problem regarding Canada. Also, if people have a strong faith and are very religious, they do not need to let a silly banner question their beliefs. They do not need to worry what this says becuase they know that they will keep on believing. However, this could and probably is offending many people.

One of the main reasons in creating these buses was to "spark a conversation" about this topic, which is a very sensitive one. Also, it was created to "reassure" people that there is nothing wrong with NOT believing in God.

There is also a new DVD which has been released called, "The God who wasnt there", which "lays out the case that Jesus Christ never existed". I do not have alot of info about this but if anyone does please share.

2 comments:

Ms. Cat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ms. Cat said...

I find this fascinating. I spend so much time marking that I count on you guys to bring me the news of our world. I think offending people is okay. What I mean by that is...if you ask a question or make a statement and people get offended that is their problem. We should be allowed to ask a question or start a conversation without worrying that people will get offended. We know that there are people out there who don't believe in God. What's wrong with them putting their beliefs on a billboard. I drive by Churches that have bible scripture written on their signs for everyone to read. Are the atheists offended to read a sign that says "Jesus loves you"? I think it's Great. But definitely contraversial. I think we should turn this into a journal topic for next week.